Monday, March 10, 2008

“Today I walked where Paul walked…” (An original Poem)

March 10, 2008
Monday

I’d like to start this week out by sharing a poem that I wrote at the end of our journey through Turkey. Because of it’s length it is continued onto Tuesday as well. I would invite you to consider what it means to walk with Christ in your life in the 21st century.

“Today I walked where Paul walked two thousand years ago to share the Word of God with those he met and I found myself in awe.

As I walked along the cobblestones in places like Ephesus, Sardis, and Philadelphia I wondered what he saw; the shops, the merchants, the lost and lonely, the rich and the poor; those who noticed and ignored him this man from away. As he passed the shops along the way what did they have to offer this man who had so much to offer them? Were they selling figs and olives, skins and fancy cloth, idols made of wood and silver, or spices and medicinal drinks sure to heal the common woe?

I wondered about the sounds of selling and of yelling, of moving and of flow. As I looked at the ruins of sand and rock it is so very hard to tell. I found myself listening to the voices of the many silenced so many years ago.

No comments: