Saturday, March 22, 2008

“To the angel of the church of Pergamum”


March 22, 2008
Saturday

Revelation 2:12-17

It’s Holy Saturday, the day between the death and resurrection of Christ. In some denominations there are prayer vigils or special services. During these times a great deal of reflection and listening to God occurs. In the city of Pergamum, God is calling them to listen to one voice, God’s divine voice. It appears that some are following other teachings and in doing so are leading God’s people into sin. God says to stop and to repent, or else.
On this day, who is it that we are listening to for guidance and direction? Is it the voice of God, sometimes small and other times like a great wind, that calls us to love and serve one another, or is it something else that may bring us temporary satisfaction but offers pain and suffering to others. When folks ask how I know if it’s God speaking to me, I tell them that I consider the results of my actions. While I may not know the final outcome, I can tell early on if I am going to be helping or hurting God’s children. If it helps, if it praises God, it is of God. Hurting does not praise God and it often hurts others. What teachings are we following? Are they helping or hurting? Do they praise God?

No comments: