Wednesday, March 5, 2008

“I can hear you!”


March 5, 2008
Wednesday


The theater architects of 2000 and longer ago were fantastic! They could create a space where people, without the benefit of microphones could be heard from the first level of seats all the way to what we now know as the nosebleed section! During our trip we visited 5 or 6 of these theaters. Each time we’d enter on the floor level I would climb as high as I could and listen to Lisa talk from the stage. She would talk in her normal voice and I’d hear what she was saying. No need to raise her voice just to be heard, just speak and I was listening. She could also hear me as I spoke to her from at least 100 to 200 feet away. Amazing!
Think about it. Why, in a much smaller space like our sanctuary do we need a microphone to be heard and boards to deaden the sound? Amazing! As I stood looking down at those gathered on the floor of the theater it helped me to understand a few things from the scriptures. For instance, it gave me a better perspective of how Jesus might be able to stand on a boat and preach to the crowds with the hills behind them. I was not as surprised about the 5,000 men plus others who followed Jesus with the expectation that they’d hear him as he spoke.
These folks didn’t worry so much about creating the perfect place from which to speak using the right sound enhancing and dampening equipment (I know that sounds contradictory) but rather they used what God had created as an example as to how they could serve humanity. Amazing!
What examples from God’s creation might we use to serve humanity today rather than trying to create something new by ourselves??

No comments: