Thursday, March 6, 2008

“A Prayer for you”

March 6, 2008
Thursday

Ephesians 3:14-22

When I pray I often sit in a chair and lean back. On Sunday mornings, when I am preparing for worship, I either sit in the front pew or kneel at one of the prayer rails (they have cushions from the old church) facing the altar. I notice that some folks come forth after receiving communion and they kneel on the wooden steps up front while others stand. Where do you pray? In the pew? On your knees? Beside your bed? Does it matter?
When we entered into the mosques throughout Turkey we found no pews, no kneeling rails and no cushions. When the people come in to do their daily prayers they kneel, facing towards Mecca, and pray. Before entering the mosque we were required to take off our shoes and as I walked around inside I noticed that there seemed to be a little (and I mean a little) cushion underneath the carpet as to walk on it brought comfort to my feet. I guess you could say it brought comfort to my sole!
You see, I don’t think it’s as important where we pray as the fact that we do pray. For some folks, they can kneel on carpet for long periods of time in prayer while for some laying prostrate on the floor is where they feel closest to God. In these words from Ephesians, Paul talks of kneeling before God but what is most important is what he prays about. This is a prayer of hope, strength, thanksgiving, empowerment, and amazement for the people of Ephesus. Do we pray similar words for others? If we are disciples of Jesus, we should! Today let’s pray Paul’s words for our church with the same expectation that Paul had for the church in Ephesus.

No comments: