Monday, February 25, 2008

“Salty Salt”



February 25, 2008
Monday

Matthew 5:13-16

Our guide said we’d be going past a salt lake. I’d never seen one up close but assumed it was filled with saltwater. Wrong! As we began to go around the lake I wondered if I was seeing a mirage. It looked like water but at the same time it didn’t. I asked and was told that the salt lake was just that, salt! We asked if we could stop and though we could tell the guide was nervous about keeping the schedule, he gave us ten minutes. We parked at a little tourist-type area and then walked out onto the lake. It was amazing. We were walking on salt, as all of the water had evaporated. We took pictures standing “in” the lake and then headed back to the shore. As we did so I reached down and picked up a granule of salt. What would it taste like, if anything? One moment in my mouth and I knew, this was salty salt! It wasn’t finally granulated like we use at the table, but it was salty salt.
What amazed me was that despite the intensity of weather and the length of time it had been there, it still had the salty flavor. It still had value and use. Do we still have our flavor for life, family, living, God? When we are added into the mix does everything take on a God flavor or are things tasteless? God does not abandon us in such times but rather restores, redeems, and revives us so that we can again add God’s divine flavor to every part of our day and our life. Amen!

No comments: