Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Lenten Devotional based on our journey to Turkey

Good Morning!
As part of the Lilly Foundation Renewal Leave Grant, I agreed, as part of a study discipline, to provide a Lenten devotional for the church.
Since that time I have been thinking a great deal about what to do. How should it be shaped? From where do I pull the scripture verses? What should I write about? After much prayer, I decided to base the whole devotional on the journey that Lisa and I took to Turkey as part of the leave. While the trip lasted only seventeen days, its impact will be with me for the rest of my life. That is what I want, and hope, to share with y’all over these next few weeks.
As for the shape, this devotion will take two distinctly different ones. The first place to read it will be daily on my blog at www.servinginmaine.blogspot.com. The second will be in a weekly supplement to be included in the worship bulletin.
As for content, some days it might just be a picture, or a story, or a prayer, or a thought. There might be a short prayer or maybe it’ll be just one big prayer. The scripture texts will be pulled from Paul as well as the Revelation of John. My goal is to allow the Spirit to create the devotional with me serving as the secretary.
Any and all comments are welcome. May God bless all of us in this experience as we journey to walk, not just in the footsteps of Paul, but also on our personal spiritual path with Jesus.

It all starts tomorrow!

No comments: