Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What a great day of worship

As part of my leave, whenever possible I like to worship in a local church. Prior to arriving in Lincoln, NH I "googled" for a local church and found some UMC's in Plymouth, Bethlehem, Concord, and a couple of other towns. Upon arriving, as I often do, I looked through some local papers and other information looking for coupons, places to travel, and other activities that might of interest while we rest. Looking through one of the papers I found a listing of local churches and found the Thornton UMC listed. It was a new location for me and I found it to be closer than any of the others. I headed out at 8:15 for a 9 am worship service. Upon arrival I found very few cars and a gentleman outside the door talking with one lady. As I approached the building he extended his hand and greeted me. "We may be small but we've got a big heart" was his comment. There was a smile on his face and he looked happy to see me.

As I headed in the door I was greeted by the pastor, Rev. R. Hanson. I had no idea that he was serving as pastor in this church. We've known each other for years and after greeting each other I met his wife, we talked about the church, and a few other things. I then moved through the small entrance area and entered the wonderful and simple sanctuary that was built in 1866. I immediately felt the warmth physically (they were anticipating a cool fall day) and fellowshiply (a new word) of the people. I took up my place, it looked unclaimed, and waited with the other 15 people in attendance. The service began and Rev. Hanson introduced me and explained that though they were a small church they were indeed filled with the Spirit.

During the worship service we sang many songs, prayed for a variety of folks - local and internationally, and listened to a sermon about "hitting the brick wall". The organist told me after the service that he played all of the wind instruments and loved Jazz. During one of the songs we sang I found myself caught in the emotions of the song just as the author had intended and it was a great feeling. When it was time to leave I felt that I had definitely worshiped and that God had blessed all who were present.

What did I learn from this experience?
  1. Publicity, even if only in a free publication is essential. Had they not placed their information in the paper I would not have known they existed and would not have had the honor of worshiping with them. We need to let people know we are out there so that those who are searching will be able to find us.

  2. Google maps is a good way to find a location but having signs along the road is also helpful. Again, they had one just when I was beginning to wonder and as a result I got there without getting lost.

  3. Many churches have greeters but how many are outside the church holding the door for people to enter. Instead of asking people to come in alone to where we are willing to greet them, how much more open is it to meet them before they have to cross that thresh hold alone?

  4. Celebrate your church. When the young man and the pastor acknowledged that they were a smaller church they didn't stop there but rather said with joy that God was definitely in that place. It wasn't just words, it was real. How do we tell people about our churches? About our programs? If we don't have anything to celebrate, why not? What is God calling us to do with what we have been given? God asked Moses what he had in his hand and with that staff Moses led the people to freedom.

  5. Worship doesn't have to be perfect but excellence is something that we should always strive for. We may not sound like an amazing choir but if we are singing with our hearts God hears only the beauty and glory of the notes!

  6. Smaller churches can't be measured in the same way that larger churches (over 75 in worship). So how do we do that? We need to find out just how to measure the importance of the presence of a worshiping community in a small town and not get caught up in whether or not they can afford to pay for a pastor.

  7. If we are willing and open, God not only walks with us but lives in us and through God does amazing things. God certainly blessed this individual on Sunday in a very special place. As was noted, it's not about the size it's about the Spirit.

Again, a very special thank you to the folks of the Thornton UMC for welcoming and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with me through their words, worship, attitudes, and actions.

Ok...enough talking...it's time to walk the walk. Are you ready to go?

No comments: