Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Waiting for our souls to catch up...

Ruth Fry was a distinguished explorer who was working in the Amazon with natives as guides and bearers. On one trip, the party made extraordinary progress through the jungle for the first two days. On the third day, however, the natives were just sitting around looking solemn and making no preparations for further travel. The chief explained that the natives couldn't go any further because," they have to wait for their souls to catch up to their bodies." (Sent to me by a friend with whom I traveled in Turkey)

Traveling 3000 miles through Turkey in 12 days with all the sites to see was amazing. At times we be in bed early hoping that a little rest would make the next day's journey a little easier. Other times we sit in the bus for hours wondering if we'd ever get to where we were going. Still, at the end of the trip I felt that my soul needed to catch up. I needed that time to rest, to reflect, to connect with my home, my family, and my friends. As I get ready to return to work in just a couple of weeks I am afraid that I will return to some old working habits and never allow my soul to catch up with my body. God rested on the 7th day. John Wesley always took time to read and to pray. I've got friends who always make time to slow down even in their hectic lives. Is it possible in mine where chaos seems to bring out the best in me? I'm working on a schedule to make time and to break old habits. It won't be easy, but as always, just as God provided the friend who sent the message, God has provided phenomenal leadership at the church so that I can focus on what God has, and is creating, and not just the chaos that is floating out there like a formless void.

We need to take time each day to let our soul catch up to us and more importantly to feed that soul on the Word of God, which quenches all thirst and is indeed the bread of heaven.

1 comment:

KristaBeth said...

Your post inspired a post of my own
based on the story you shared. Thanks!