Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Enemies....

"I would like for you to pray for those who are currently attempting to do us harm in our business and marriage. This is a hard prayer request but God says we should pray for our enemies." ~A prayer request from Jean, NV~ Although Jesus says it and we've gotten countless thousands of prayer requests, this was the FIRST one that followed the command at "Wings over the mountains of life", an electronic daily devotional.

This morning as I turned on the television I came across Newt Gingrich (Speaker of the US House from 1995-1999) talking about Franklin Roosevelt going on television and inviting the people of the nation to pray with him, which he did for over 9 minutes. Newt noted that FDR asked for prayers for the US men fighting in WWII but he also noted that the enemy was evil. I then went into my daily devotionals which I receive each morning when I open my email and this was there. I felt it was a message that I needed to share.

Here are some questions on this morning...who are our enemies? Who are those we believe are trying to do us harm as individuals, communities, nations, etc? When was the last time we asked God to watch over them, to guide them, to breakdown the walls of evil that may surround them, to heal them, to give us clarity to understand why they are doing such things?

To whom are we being enemies? Who feels threatened by us? When was the last time we asked for forgiveness for feelings that oppress, that hurt, that silence, that frighten those around us? Not just as individuals but also as a church, a community, a nation.

Today may we pray for all people, not just friends for that is easy and not just for ourselves for that can be selfish but for those with whom we are angry or afraid or oppressing and those around us for whom a prayer will be the most positive part of their day or may be just what changes their entire life.

No comments: