Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thomas Dorsey - Precious Lord, Take My Hand

I received one of those massive emails that talked of the story behind this hymn and so I thought I'd journey to YouTube and see what I could find. Here is the story of Tommy Dorsey, his faith, and this song. It's wonderful to not only hear about a song, but to have the author share the true meaning of the words that God gave to them. Enjoy and then head to YouTube for a number of videos about "Precious Lord..." including Tommy Dorsey leading a church in the singing of the song.

2 comments:

DUNBAR said...

One just cannot listen,watch, this music and not be inspired. To me this is a wonderful way to talk to God.It is one of the most emotional ways for me to understand the word of God. In Mr. Dorsey's experience,Precious Lord brought him through a terrible time. How thankful I am that we have music as a means of communicating our feelings.
Amen

Unknown said...

Really fine! We (our teentsie church choir) are singing this piece next week. No, we'll not do it as it might best be done, having viewed these original Dorsey videos; but we'll be putting our heart into it, and maybe even a little bit of that special quality that I saw here. It is very meaningful to me to share the ideas and feelings that are incorporated in Mr. Dorsey's creation, and it adds immeasurably to my experience while singing it.

Thank you. Tony D'Ambrosio in Rindge