Monday, November 19, 2007

Sharing the joy!

I want to offer a mighty congratulations to Rick M for his success before the Board of Ordained Ministry to become an Elder within the New England Conference of the United Methodist Church. He has worked very hard and is without a doubt called by God to share the Good News of Christ with folks within and beyond the walls of the local church! As I listened to his words I felt a great personal joy within me as well. It was the honor of being invited to share in the moment. It was a great feeling. It got me to thinking about how we share such moments in our lives.

I know there is a difference between boasting and being thankful - one is to point out something we've accomplished to lift ourselves up and the other is to honor God for how God has blessed us. When Rick shared his blessing with me it had the effect of the old "stone in the pond" in that I was able to witness God at work in this world.

Too often I hear boasts by individuals, organizations, and nations that are intended to lift them up or worse yet to put someone down. Not often enough do I hear thanksgiving for what God has done in a person's life that is actually a blessing and benefit to all. What would happen if we changed that? What would happen if we started to share with each other the way that God has blessed our lives?

We've got to be careful because if we put together a list for each day we might soon be competing with others to show that we've been blessed more than they. Do you know what I mean? As I write I also realize that those with whom the person is sharing must also see that the only purpose of the individual is to praise God from whom all blessings flow. It's not exactly what the world often tries to teach us but it is always how God guides us.

48 hours later I still am giving thanks to God that Rick would call and share such a blessing in his life. I've had the opportunity to share the news with others and they also feel blessed to see God at work. In a world that promises great gobs of goodness with chain letters, what if we started sharing our blessings with any and all we met? Don't tell anyone but it's one of the most effective ways for people to get interested in a relationship with God when they see how God is working in the lives of others!

Wow! I didn't anticipate the directions this would take but I guess the blessing that Rick shared with me had even more impact than I thought! Have a great day and remember to share your blessings!

No comments: