Monday, August 13, 2007

What I learned when Lisa was in the hospital

This past week Lisa began experiencing pains that we thought might be kidney stones. After spending a couple of hours in the Waldo County General Hospital ER on Wednesday night (the doctors and nurses were great!) and getting some painkillers, Lisa awoke with more intense pain. We talked with our doctor who wanted us to come in for a visit because they had found something else and she didn't want to wait, knowing that we were heading out of the country in 10 days. This is where the lessons for me as a pastor began...

The first lesson was what happens when a doctor wants to move quickly. We later found out that the concern she had was that what they found might be cancer and therefore a real concern. It's amazing how one day life is going great and plans are being made for Belize and the next, a loved one's health takes far greater priority. I was reminded that we are not promised anything other than this moment but also that when I respond to someone who has just received a similar call that for them the world has stopped and what is happening now is the only thing that matters!

The second lesson was when our doctor said that she was moving fast on this because it is what she'd want. I was thinking it was a convenience for us but instead she was putting herself in our shoes as patient and caregiver and she wanted to give us what she would want. She was taking a personal interest in our situation and this brought me comfort and reminded me to serve others as I would hope to be served (maybe that should be a golden rule...).

Lisa was then admitted to the hospital, had a couple of tests, and they found a cyst that had ruptured causing all of the pain (she has stones but they weren't the problem...yet). She would need some painkillers to offset the pain but she would be much better. The cancer scare was gone. The next 24-hours were spent in room 208 at Waldo County General Hospital.

What did I learn during Lisa's time in the hospital? I knew many of these things but have a new perspective as the spouse of the patient...

A) Most folks don't like being in a hospital and I should probably stop referring to WCGH as a Maine coast vacation resort when I visit folks... Lisa and I would have loved to be anywhere else besides that room!
B) When the door of the hospital room is closed it is often because that's the only form of privacy the patient and family have. Too often it seemed like we were on display even though many folks didn't look in the room. It also can block out some of the acknowledgement of what is happening. This door needs to be respected and treated as though one is entering a person's home.
C) Nurses and Aids are definitely God's gift to the patient. The way they talk to patients, interact with the family, respond with special attention to needs can make life a lot more bearable. Late in the evening Lisa was getting hungry and so was I. I asked for some toast for Lisa and some graham crackers for myself. She asked if I wanted Peanut Butter to go with my snack...how did she know I loved PB and GC's? It was great. What can I bring special to someone in need.
D) Friends are another gift from God. Some showed up immediately, some took time off of work, some came bearing gifts, some just showed up for a few moments. Each one brought love and prayers that bolstered both of us. They didn't expect us to entertain them but rather just talked and did whatever they could to help.
E) Quiet and rest are also a good thing. Being in the hospital is more exhausting than we thought and Lisa found she needed to rest more often. We need to empower the caregivers to tell us when to leave and to honor that.
F) Prayer is a great thing for comfort. 'Nuff said!
G) The prayer chain at the Belfast UMC was great as we had calls from all over and when I encountered one of our older members at the store, she told me of the call she received and how relieved she was that Lisa was better. Using the phone as well as computer brings out all the prayer warriors and it feels great to have so many praying for us!
H) When leaving the hospital, there is nothing so wonderful as breathing the fresh air of freedom. There is great hope and possibility even if the patient doesn't feel great or the perspective is not particularly promising.
I) God is the great healer and faith in God makes all things bearable. Even the unknown can be handled when God is holding our hand...

I suppose that's it for now. Lisa is doing great, the weekend was wonderful and I'm off to finish working on a garden I built yesterday. I'll have pictures later.

1 comment:

scituatedrev said...

Wow! I'm glad to hear things turned out the way they did. My prayers surround Lisa in her continued healing and strengthening. Thanks for sharing your experience - powerful lessons.