Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's been a week since I first began and much has happened. I've returned from my two weeks at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington DC. It was great to be there, to listen, to learn, to experience, but nothing beats being home in Belfast Maine!

While in DC we ate at a variety of places including Tex-Mex, Korean, Soul, Ethiopian, and of course McDonald's for breakfast on the weekend. Unfortunately I didn't run to compensate for the big meals and this past week at home I've been trying to lose what I had gained.

I enjoy the diversity of the big city though I am awed with how easily someone can get lost or disappear without anyone else noticing. How horrible that must be to have so many people going by and not even being noticed. Sure there are some folks that turn everyone's head but many more of us who don't even cause an eyebrow to be raised.

Jesus talked of seeking out the lost sheep and many times I've thought of it as someone who had gone astray or lost their way. What if they haven't but we've just ignored them and simply walked away, not realizing they were left behind? How many sheep have we lost because we weren't looking for them?

The sad thing is that this doesn't happen just in big cities but also in small towns and even in families. How can we make a difference?

No comments: